THE ACADEMIC BOARD
THE ACADEMIC BOARD - Statute 6
The Academic Board shall consist of the following:
- The President.
- The Vice–President.
- Heads of Departments.
- Senior members from the various departments elected thereto by Heads of Departments.
The Registrar shall be Secretary to the Board.
POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE ACADEMIC BOARD
Without prejudice to the generality of the powers of the Academic Board prescribed herein, the powers and functions of the Academic Board shall be to:
- Formulate and carry out the academic policy of the College and, generally, regulate and approve the programmes of instruction and examinations.
- Promote research within the College and request every year, reports from schools, departments, and other academic units of the admission of students.
- Makes regulations for the admission of students.
- Make arrangements for the conduct of examination and determine dates for holding them.
- Receive reports on the conduct of examinations and comments on them for the year from Faculty Boards, and make observations and recommendations on college examinations.
- Appoint External Examiners on the recommendations of School Boards and Schools concerned and determine the terms and conditions of the appointment.
- Terminate the appointment of External Examiners for negligence or other sufficient cause during their terms of office and in the case of death, illness or resignation of an Examiner, appoint a replacement.
- Make regulations relating to courses of study, degrees and other academic distinctions after receiving reports or proposals from Faculty Boards.
- Recommend the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have pursued a programme of study or research approved by the Academic Board and have passed the prescribed examinations or otherwise satisfied the examiners.
- Make recommendations for the institution, combination, abolition and changes of scope of Departments.
- Recommend to Council the affiliation of other institutions to the College on such terms and conditions as it deems fit.
- Determine, subject to any conditions made by its donors which are accepted by Council, and after report from school Boards or Schools concerned, the mode and conditions of competition for fellowships, Scholarships, Exhibitions, Bursaries, Medals and other Prizes, as well as examine for the award of these or delegate to the school Committees set up for that purpose by the Academic Board.
- Review annually, upon any enquiries which it may deem fit to make, the academic organization and development.
a. The accomplishment of the effectiveness of the College regarding the relevance of its programmes to the needs of the country.
b. Recommendations to Council for institution of schools, departments or other academic sections, for the establishment of additional academic posts for any other new development.
c. Report to Council matters arising from such review, and if it so wishes;
14. Regulate all matters relating to content and methods of teaching and of assessment by examination or otherwise, for the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates, and other activities conducted in the College for which payments are made by outside bodies.
15. Determine and control the terms and conditions of research or other activities conducted in the College for which payments are made by outside bodies.
16. Make regulations for the discipline of junior members.
17. Refer proposals on any matter to Convocation for consideration.
18. Exercise all such powers as are or may be conferred on the Academic Board by any amendment to these statutes.
19. Regulate the relationships between the College and associated institutions.
20.Receive written reports from the Sub-Committees of the Academic Board for consideration.
MEETINGS OF THE ACADEMIC BOARD
- The President shall convene a meeting of the Academic Board at least twice in each semester. Emergency meetings may be convened by the President at short notice.
- A special meeting of the Academic Board shall be convened upon a written request by at least one quarter of members of the Academic Board, submitted to the President with a statement of the matters to be discussed. In the event of such a request, the President shall convene a special meeting within seven days of the receipt of the request, specifying in the notice the matters to be considered.
- The quorum for the transaction of business of the Academic Board shall not be less than half of the total membership of the Board, including the Chairman of Council and the President.
STATUTORY COMMITTEES OF THE ACADEMIC BOARD - Statute 7
Subject to the approval of Council, there shall be such Statutory Committee of the Academic Board as the Board may from time to time determine.
There shall be an Academic curriculum, Quality and Staff development standing committee of the Academic Board with the following responsibilities:
- Approving on behalf of the Academic Board proposals for new courses recommended by the Departments and Schools and considering all matters relating to the College’s academic curriculum.
- Developing policy in support of Academic quality assurance Unit, and,
- Establishing a staff development programme for heads of departments and academic members of staff in general in the areas of management and teaching and learning.
- The Committee shall have representation from each school (probably, but not necessarily, the Dean) from among the members of the Academic Board plus up to three members of Academic Board for their experience in curriculum matters.
There shall be a Board whose members shall include the following:
- The Ag. Dean shall be the Chairperson.
- Heads/Acting Heads of Departments.
- Professors within the School.
- One other member of each Department elected by the members of the Department.
- One representative from a cognate School in accordance with the Schedules to these Statutes.
- Faculty Officer shall be Secretary to the School Board. The term of office of each elected member of the School Board shall be two years and may be extended by re-election.
- Each School Board shall meet at least once a month during a semester. Emergency meetings of the Board may be called by the Dean at short notice. Special meetings shall be called on the written request of at least half of the members of the Board and submitted to the Dean with a statement to be considered.
- The Dean shall convene a special meeting of the Board within seven days of the receipt of the request.
- In the absence of the Dean, the Dean shall nominate a Head of Department in the School to chair a meeting of the Board.
- The quorum for a meeting of a School Board shall be half of the total membership.
POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF SCHOOL ACADEMIC BOARD - Statute 8
Subject to these Statutes and resolutions of the Academic Board, the powers and functions of each School Board shall include the following:
- Determine all matters relating to teaching and research in the School. Determine, subject to the approval of the Academic Board, the scheme of instruction and the regulations and syllabuses for examinations in the subjects of the School.
- Determine all matters relating to the progress of students following schemes of instruction, study and research within the School and keep appropriate records of them.
- Ensure the provision of adequate instruction and facilities for research in the subjects assigned to the Faculty and co-ordinate the teaching and research programmes of the Departments of the School.
- Conduct examinations.
- Recommend external Examiners to the Academic Board for appointment.
- Make recommendations to the Academic Board for the award of Degrees, (other than honorary Degrees), Diplomas, Certificates, Fellowships, studentships, prizes and other academic distinctions within the faculty.
- Submit proposals to the Academic Board for academic development within the school.
- Discuss any matter relating to the work of the faculty and express an opinion if so desired, to the Academic Board.
- Deal with and, if requested, report on any matter referred to it by the Academic Board.
- Appoint such sub-Committees as it may deem fit in the discharge of its functions.
- Appoint Examiners of the School Board to constitute the Board of Examiners of the school.
- There shall be in each School Board whose members shall include the following:
a. Dean of the School, Chairperson: Heads/Acting Heads of Department.
b. One other member of each Department elected by the members of the Department.
c. One representative from a cognate school in accordance with the Schedules to these statutes.
d. Faculty officer shall be secretary to the Faculty Board.
e. The term of office of each elected member of a Faculty Board shall be two years and may be extended by re-election.
f. Each School Board shall meet at least once a month during a semester. Emergency meetings of the board may be called by the Dean at short notice. Special meetings shall be called on the written request of at least half of the members of the Board and submitted to the Dean with a statement to be considered. The Dean shall convene a special meeting of the Board within seven days of the receipt of the request.
g. In the absence of the Dean, the Dean shall nominate a Head of Department in the school to chair a meeting of the Board.
h. The quorum for a meeting of a School Board shall be half of the total membership.