HEADS OF DEPARTMENT - Statute 9
Each Department shall have an appointed Head of Department. Such appointment shall be made by the President on the recommendation of the Dean who shall consult the members of the department.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Head of Department, with the approval of the Faculty Board, to organize teaching programmes, maintain acceptable standards of teaching, and ensure that facilities are available for teaching and research in the department.
- He/she shall have responsibility for development of syllabuses and courses as well as promotion of research in the Department and be responsible for recommendations.
- He/She shall have direct responsibility for departmental administration, recommendations for the appointment and promotion of staff, and subject to these statutes, for maintenance of discipline.
- He/she shall liaise with other departments, professional institutions, associations and similar bodies on matters affecting the Department.
- He/she shall consult with the Dean in all matters affecting the department.
DEPARTMENTAL BOARDS - Statute 10
- Each Department shall have a Departmental Board comprising all senior members.
- It shall convene monthly meetings during the semester to consider general organization and regulations of courses and research.
- Make course teaching assignments.
- Moderate examination questions in the various courses in the department.
- Collate examination results of the department.
- It shall co-operate with the School Board in all matters affecting the department and School.
- The quorum for the transaction of any business of the Departmental Board shall not be less than half of the total number of members.